For about a minute.
Then something started to nag me and wouldn’t stop all night, so here I am. Her blog post now has 660 comments (almost all of which agree with her) and hundreds and hundreds of re-postings on facebook. That means a lot of us found validation in the tearing down of others. There’s something wrong with that.
I don’t do anything for St Patrick’s day for my kids, I don’t
do elaborate birthday parties or give them anything for Easter besides a small
basket of candy. I don’t make home-made Valentines or do Valentine’s breakfasts
or do Elf on the Shelf. But I know many moms who do. And I guarantee they don’t
do it to make you feel bad. I
guarantee they don’t do it to raise the expectations of motherhood to unattainable
levels. They do it because it’s a way
for them to fuel their creativity, to create moments of joy with their
children, and to simply break up the monotony of mommy days.
Maybe there is a small percentage of moms who splash
it all over facebook and pinterest merely to show off. I don’t know any of
those people. I’m sure there are a few out there. I’d say those people have
issues with self-worth.
But who is the one placing expectations on me? It’s me. I own my expectations, no one else can force them on me. If I feel
threatened or unworthy when I see pictures of my friend’s happenings with their
children, it’s my problem, not theirs. We all put ourselves out there with
social media in one way or another. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t be looking.
Sure, I’d like it if we generally agreed the holidays should
be toned down. But I’d never stand in the way of someone being creative or make
them feel guilty for it. And if someday I do feel like going “big” for one
holiday or birthday I’m not going to let the idea that it might make other moms
feel bad stop me.
This Rage Against the Minivan mom is a great writer (I read through some of her posts last night) and that is her way of being creative. There is potential to be jealous and resentful of her success. But that’s not her problem.
I personally don’t need permission to be the kind of mom
that I want to be. As moms, we already have enough to feel guilty about with no
external forces being involved. Is uniting together in our anger and validation
really doing anything productive if we’re united against others who, in the
end, probably have the same underlying goals? We all struggle. None of us are perfect. If you think someone is portraying themselves as such that’s your
issue. We all want to teach our kids,
love them, and try to stay sane along the way.
I like it. And I am proud of you for the introspection it took to challenge your own initial reactions. It would be nice if things were simpler sometimes, but why should we seek to coerce others into simplicity, rather than simply moving there ourselves. Besides, I love when we get to participate in the greative explosions others occasionally throw. They are always a blast. Hopefully, we can reciprocate with consistent, almost frequent, small bits of joy, since creative explosions aren't quite our thing.
ReplyDeleteYou two are so perfect for each other. I love Mel's post...it's exactly how I feel. And I think it's sweet of you to support her by commenting.
DeleteAmen! :)
ReplyDeleteNicely said!
ReplyDeleteThank heavens for your well expressed balancing post. Agree that we should support each other in our individual ways of being exactly who we want to be. My niece just sent me this: "Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn." There will always be people jealous of unicorns.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Mel. I am like you, I don't do any of those things, but I have no problem with people who do.
ReplyDeleteThis is so true Mel! Having parties and celebrating holidays as a family is fun and creates memories, but just because I haven't done that in a year and other people do it often doesn't make me feel badly. I just realized I found my weakness in comparison as a mother. 1. Kids being better at sports than my kids and 2. Women who look awesome pregnant and then lose their baby weight really fast and whom I don't know very well to know the rest of their problems. Okay, now that I've identified those, I'm going to make a conscientious decision not to be bothered by it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this.
ReplyDelete