For those of you out there that know me well, you may have heard me state on more than one occasion that my relationship with Netflix is one of the most successful relationships in my life. From the very beginning it has gently guided me through an awkward dating phase- one where I would constantly doubt how quickly I would receive the next DVD in the mail and therefore forget to update my queue with something I actually wanted to watch- to a committed, steady, relationship of convenience.
I remember a time when I was waiting for a movie to arrive in the mail and it was taking longer then usual. Eventually I received an email saying they had sent it, and had it arrived? It hadn't! I began to panic slightly, would I have to pay for this lost DVD? Was this the moment I had been dreading when the proverbial other shoe would fall and a dark side would finally reveal itself? I took a breath and clicked "no" the DVD had not arrived yet. No other questions were asked. They would send another one right away. Such trust. It was then that I changed my relationship status to one of convenience, to love.
The past few weeks have been pretty hard on Netflix. Once loyal customers are now throwing rotten tomatoes and demanding answers. I'm here to offer you some. When netflix began, DVD by mail was ahead of it's time. The idea seemed almost... lazy. Why wouldn't you just go to your neighborhood blockbuster and find something to watch? Once the math was done and the concept finally caught on it seemed crazy not to jump on the bandwagon. People warmed to the idea and movie rental chains began to disappear over night.
This pattern is repeating itself. It's hard to accept the idea of just streaming. Words like 'obsolete' send chills down our spines when referenced with DVDs. Those last few people that don't own some sort of gaming system or blue ray player capable of streaming are being backed into a corner as I type this very sentence. Nevertheless, our future is streaming. Netflix is right. You're wrong.
So in the meantime, stand by your man.
Definitely good points you make. We were one of the 810,000 people who cancelled our netflix account when they raised prices because we found that we rarely got DVD's, we would usually stream for most of the things we watched. When we didn't have cable netflix was a lifesaver. But, when they raised the price and we had cable we decided we could live without. A lot of new movies we noticed weren't available through streaming and those were the ones we wanted so we may again become customers as soon as they focus on having current new releases available through streaming. In the meantime, I'm glad you are so happy together :)
ReplyDeleteRob got a new XBOX for "Sam's birthday" and we now have Netflix streaming wirelessly into this beautiful machine. Before I was waching movies instantly on my laptop or IPAD. I must say, I watch a lot more now that its on the bigger TV. My new addiction is Hoarders (not the TLC one though). I think streaming is definitely our future too.
ReplyDelete