If you're like me, you haven't really heard much buzz about this movie "Super 8." You may have watched the trailer, wondered what it was about and promptly forgot you ever saw it. Then one morning as you were brushing your teeth you listened to a movie critic on the radio describe how he felt as he watched Super 8. Something would stir within you. What was it he had said? Something about a "Spielberg feeling." Your interest would be piqued and you would decide to see it that very night.

You would NOT regret it. Spielberg feeling is right! Within the first 20 minutes of this movie something just felt right. It felt like puzzle pieces were coming together to fit perfectly to form a path as you were walking along it. It was just well made.
Set in a tiny town in 1979, the movie is about a group of kids that are making a film about zombies and then witness a train accident that changes their lives. Think E.T. meets Stand By Me. The story plays out in a sort of familiar way, characters that are vulnerable and captivating - it really feels like something that you may have seen before, but in a good way. That Spielberg feeling that was mentioned before? I think I can define it as a feeling of nostalgia and comfort while being taken back to an era by someone that really knows how to make good movies. There were a handful of moments where I struggled, but then I just let myself surrender and get carried away with the story.
One of the greatest things about this movie is the cast. Who are these kids? The characters are so endearing and the dialogue is so witty and funny. I've never seen any of them in anything before and they were positively refreshing. By the end of the movie I was really happy just imagining the careers they had ahead of them.

So, go check it out. I think it's definitely worth paying full price for.
I want to see this movie now! Good review.
ReplyDeleteNow I definitely want to see it!
ReplyDelete