I've decided to contribute a little more to this blog by doing a weekly top ten list. The themes of the list will vary every week so stay tuned!
This weeks Top Ten: Romantic Comedies. I am a firm believer that the romantic comedy genre has almost run it's course and instead we are just paying to watch the same movie over and over again. The names are changed, the plots are cut and pasted, and two actors are on the cover looking at each other out of the corner of their eyes.
Having said that, I've compiled this top ten list to show some good all around newer and older movies to remind us what used to be good and that although they're fewer and far between, there are still some good ones being made.
1. Penelope- I am a sucker for fairy tales, especially pretty ones like this. Great cast, old idea, new twist.
2. Strictly Ballroom- What does this movie teach us? Australia is a funny country, and I don't just mean the accents. Brought to you by the same director as Moulin Rouge, Strictly Ballroom is a great choice if you're in the mood for something a little different and fun.
3. (500) Days of Summer- Complete with a killer soundtrack this is definitely a refreshing spin on a movie about finding love.
4. When Harry Met Sally- I don't think there is a list of romantic comedies in existence with this movie not on it.
5. The Philadelphia Story- This might not be some peoples type of movie being black and white, but if the mood strikes give it a chance! It doesn't get any better then Cary Grant, James Stewart and Katherine Hepburn.
6. Return to Me- This one definitely puts the comedy in romantic comedy. As touching as it is, it never fails to make me laugh.
7. What's Up Doc?- The epitome of a screwball comedy. Barbara Streisand is as funny as she is beautiful in it. Don't be afraid of 70's movies people. They're our friends.
8. Sleepless in Seattle- I think I could watch this movie back to back with no problem. So quote able, so charming. Mmmmmagic.
9. Notting Hill- I mean, need I say more? Such a classic. This movie wrapped up the golden age of rom com's.
10. The Holiday- Probably one of my favorite romantic comedies to emerge from this past decade. Kate Winslet is always a favorite.
Unfortunately nothing really recent made the list because in 2010 we were dealing with movies like The Bounty Hunter, When in Rome, and (cough) The Back Up Plan.
Let's hope things start looking up for 2011.
I so agree that the romantic comedy has run its course. I mean how long can we keep watching the same thing over and over? When in Rome was so awful, I can't believe we watched the whole thing.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with you on most of your top 10. To this day I still quote Sleepless in Seattle ("this is my favorite part", "H&G" and "register"). What's Up Doc? is classic personified. Return to Me makes me laugh (the whole cast is just delightful). When Harry Met Sally showed us that the rom com could live up to its potential. And The Holiday was surprisingly sweet thanks to Kate Winslet.
I hate to say it but I detest Notting Hill. And even though I think that is part of the challenge with watching a Rom Com (to hate or to love) I just find Julia Roberts unwatchable in this film. But I will give you Hugh Grant, he's a charming fella.
I'll have to see (500) Days of Summer and Penelope since I know I can trust your recommendation.
Love this idea for the top 10. It will be fun to see what you come up with.
I just have to add another one of my favorites - While You Were Sleeping. I haven't seen most of these in a really long time. Time to update my Netflix queue! :)
ReplyDeleteDAN IN REAL LIFE! My favorite rom com from the last decade. Great list, Mind! I will hold you to it doing this every week because it will be a highlight of my week. I will have to watch Strictly Ballroom again because I remember hating that movie as a kid when mom would make us watch it. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd of course all the rom coms now are absolutely horrendous. Has anyone seen the new one with Reese Witherspoon and Paul Rudd? It looks so un-funny.
yay!!! you are posting!!!! woo hoo! Penelope is totally one of my faves and 500 days of summer was awesome! i haven't seen strictly ballroom... why haven't i? i think i better... it just sounds good!
ReplyDelete~selina
So glad Notting Hill made the list. My absolute FAV!
ReplyDeleteI'm sooooo glad you posted. I've never seen Penelope or The Holiday. I thought they may be lame but since they made your list, I'm definitely going to check them out now.
ReplyDelete