Spring is a great time for renting movies because all of the movies that came out at Christmas are released on DVD. I have been busy watching my netflix.
An Education- Fresh and interesting. I was intrigued by the father in this film, played by an old favorite Alfred Molina, more so than any character I've seen in awhile. I couldn't figure him out and it was exhilarating to still be thinking about him days later. I also love the feeling while watching that something is lurking around the corner but you have no idea what. That feeling is like a microcosm of what she does in the film. As you're going down a path that is fun at the time (I love how the main character just wanted to have FUN), there will always be consequences. And sometimes "fun" limits your options down the road. Love that motif.
The Blind Side- Loved Sandra B's and Quinton Aaron's understated performances. Got to love a feel-good movie that makes you hopeful there is good in the world. Also got to love a movie I can watch with my husband that he actually enjoys (he's very picky).
Sherlock Holmes- Robert Downey, Jr. is a favorite of mine so I was looking forward to finally seeing this one. I was apprehensive because I had heard some critical reviews. Overall, I was entertained and watching Downey on screen is always a treat. My first reaction to the movie was that I liked it. Then I tried to figure out why so many people didn't and realized there were a few things I didn't like about it. The big criticisms I have are 1) it's too melodramatic for me when the conflict in a film like this is THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. Take it easy on the villain's objectives, please. 2) the dark magic isn't for me. 3) Mindy thought the Bromance was a little much between Holmes and Watson. Lighten that up a bit, too. Also, we love Rachel Mcadams but she seemed a out of place in this one. I do hope there's another Sherlock Holmes with this cast.
The Young Victoria- Utterly surprising performance by Emily Blunt. She was fantastic, deserving of her Golden Globe nod. After the first 10 minutes, I completely forgot about her as the assistant to Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada, which is the only other role she's really known for. Nice love story- I think if you're British it's common knowledge but not for us Americans so you simply don't know if it's a sad or happy ending, which is some nice suspense. I won't ruin it for you!
Bright Star- A little love story on the too-short life of poet John Keats, who died from tuberculosis when he was only 26. A little slow and not interesting enough for me, although I do love me some poetry. I'd skip this one.
Avatar- Pretty sure I'm the only one left who hasn't seen this movie. I really, really want to. I keep putting off seeing it on my teeny TV. Wish I saw it in 3D.
Post Grad- How did this get on the list? Fast-forwarded much to the end, not surprisingly. Skip it.
Any other ones I need to see?
I agree with you on An Education and The Blind Side. Sherlock Holmes was entertaining but I was hoping for something more. Maybe a little more mystery than it had.
ReplyDeleteI'm not very updated with my movies so if it's a new rental release, I haven't seen it but I liked "Traitor". Hadn't heard of it until Adam wanted to rent it so it was fun to not know a thing about the movie before watching it. If you like fashion, "The September Issue" was very interesting. Also "Push" was good. I'm trying to come up with movies you may not have heard much about.
Not surprisingly I haven't seen any of these. Thanks for the suggestions Mel.
ReplyDelete2 Recent Redbox flicks I'd recommend -1)"Invictus" with Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman is one you can watch with Chris.
ReplyDelete2)Leap Year with Amy Adams - a pretty predictable chick flick, but cute and fun and PG :)