Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Perspective


I'd like to start a Hunger Games series discussion, about Books 1 and 2. Please do not say anything about Mockingjay yet, as most of us haven't even started reading it.

The question is, are you Team Gale or Peeta?

Up until a few days ago, I didn't know there was an issue. My point of view was that Katniss is in love with Peeta, but keeps trying to deny her feelings to protect both her and him. Every scene between Gale and Katniss had the strictly platonic feel.

After first talking to Mindy the other day, she said "There isn't a choice anymore. She's chosen Gale." I stopped in my tracks and wondered if we had read the same books or if I wasn't remembering correctly. So I started posing the question to my friends here who have read the books and the feelings are split. Some, like me, feel that she loves Peeta but is in constant self-preservation mode and not acknowledging her feelings since they're both kind of doomed to die. The others feel there's no question that she realized she loves Gale in the second book and Peeta is the one where's there's nothing there.

Wow, fascinating, isn't it? I really don't know! That makes the third book all the more exciting. Why I love these books though is the love story isn't the main focal point. The other relationships are just as important as the lovey ones and the other themes are in the forefront as well: justice, freedom, cruelty, compassion.

It's quite refreshing that the latest trendy books that everybody is reading are well-written, moving, and really for anyone. Love that Suzanne Collins.

Now please answer my discussion question.

6 comments:

  1. This is making me question if I am remembering correctly because I agree with Mindy, I thought she had chosen Gale. I started re-reading Hunger Games so I as soon as I finish 1 and 2 I will let you know. But as for now, I thought Gale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. like i mentioned before i had NO idea this was even up for discussion. she loves peeta without a doubt. gale is just a friend. i'm also rereading right now, i'll let you know if i change my tune :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished the first one, haven't read the second. So I don't feel that I could really contribute to the discussion, but wanted to say THANKS for making this a spoiler-free discussion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both books are a little fuzzy for me, but I remember thinking "am I team Peeta or team Gale?" :) can't wait to get my hands on the third book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you do another one once you've read number three?

    And it bugged me so much because she was totally for Peeta and I thought the same thing that the other scenes with Gale were platonic but she kept denying it. I did so like Gale...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she loves both, if not, cares for them both deeply. I thought it was pretty clear that she has those in love feelings with Gale and not with Peeta, partly because she knows Gale more deeply and her real relationship with Peeta is always crossing the line between show and reality (especially in the first book when she thinks his feelings aren't genuine). I feel like her love for Gale was always there but she would have never admitted it if her life had gone as she planned. Her love for Peeta obviously grows from nothing to strong.

    I thought the point of who she really loved and wanted to be with was made apparent after Gayle was whipped and she decided that's who she really loved (in the second book). Even with all this, I don't think she ever thought of having a life with either being a reality. She's also only 16, right? Who decides their whole life at that age? I kind of assumed she would end up with whomever was still alive in the end, if she even makes it, (I haven't finished the third book yet so don't say anything) because, really, she could be love and be happy with either one. To me, her feelings and love isn't as clear as it is in Twilight (it seriously baffles me that people think Bella should be with Jacob). The first two books definitely cross the line between who she would pick, Gale v. Peeta. Oh, to be in this situation when I was 16. That must be so hard to choose between two guys that would literally die for you, they care so much for you. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete